Addressing The Risks of Unsupervised Testing
Addressing the Risks of Unsupervised Candidate Testing – Zoom to the Rescue!
At Accountests, we like to share emerging innovative practices with our clients and the wider community of people who like making thoroughly informed recruitment and selection decisions, so here’s a practical step you can take today to increase the effectiveness of your selection process:
After shooting from relative obscurity to indispensable communications software during the pandemic lockdown, Zoom has now provided a cheap and easy way of addressing one of online testing & assessment’s greatest headaches and risks for employers.
The benefits of online testing are largely understood, recognised and implemented by most, but as a quick refresher of what you have got used to, not having to invite candidates to supervised testing sessions and all the time, effort and cost saved in not arranging candidate travel, accommodation, rooms and people to run assessments is likely why you made the changes ages ago.
Your candidates have been as appreciative as you have in taking your testing online, but unsupervised testing does have the attendant risk that candidates decide to seek the help of others, or even get ‘clever friends’ to do their test for them.
Some of Zoom’s features allow you to reduce, or eliminate that risk, so here are two step-by-step approaches that some clients have been taking which you could implement today:
The Online Semi-Supervised Zoom Test
- Client orders their test(s) and send test link to their candidate(s)
- Client starts a Zoom call with the candidate and checks their ID.
- Candidate clicks on the test link and starts a ‘Screen Share’ with client. Both parties should go on mute.
- Candidate can now work through the test. Client can see both the Candidate (via camera) and Screen (via share screen)
- Client can tab away to do other work as they wish
- After candidates clicks ‘Final Submit’ and ‘End’ they can unmute and advise Buyer they are finished. Call ends
The Online Total Control Zoom Test
- Client orders their tests and send the link to the internal person administering the test
- Internal administrator starts a Zoom call with the candidate and checks their ID
- Internal administrator clicks on the test link and starts a ‘Screen Share’ with the candidate. Both parties should go on mute.
- Internal administrator uses Zoom’s ‘Remote Access’ feature to allow the candidate to do the test.
- The candidate can now work through the test(s). Internal administrator can see both the Candidate (via camera) and Screen (via share screen)
- Internal administrator can tab away to do other work as they wish
- After candidates clicks ‘Final Submit’ and ‘End’ they can unmute and advise the Internal administrator they are finished. Call ends
Simple, yet effective! You’re welcome.
A couple of points to consider when using either of the above approaches:
- The Candidate shouldn’t use an iPad or other touch screen to use this option as they will be using a remote mouse to navigate the test.
- Using a laptop or desktop device will also make seeing the candidate much easier than if they are using a hand-held device.
- The Total Control option also allows you to test candidates who do not have required software loaded onto their machines, as all they need is an internet connection
Any queries on adopting this model, do contact us. Similarly, we’d love to hear your experiences of changing your recruitment practices to adapt to a changed world.
Go to our website