The knock-on effects of unfilled vacancies on existing staff were largely expected by employers, but this survey puts those effects in stark and alarming actual experiences. While the survey was conducted in the UK, we could confidently expect the findings to be mirrored where you work.
- More than a third of staff surveyed reported unmanageable workloads that are affecting their mental health and attributed to unfilled vacancies
- 78% reported experiencing burn-out symptoms since the start of 2022, also attributed to unfilled vacancies
- 22% of People/HR professionals reported being unable to recruit anyone in the past 3 months
Want to see if Accountests will work for your company or firm? Click on the button for a FREE trial worth up to $200 - use it on a candidate or get one of your staff to give it a go and see what they think.
The CEO of TotalJobs, who commissioned the survey suggests familiar cures to ease the effects on staff and their managers:
- Shorten the time to hire new staff to avoid losing candidates to competing job offers
- Increase the wellbeing services offered to staff experiencing the pressures of unfilled vacancies, as well as the effects of a global cost of living crisis
Have you ever made recruitment decisions you lived to regret? Are you given recruitment responsibilities on top of your day job and struggle to find time to do it all? Get our compact Accountant & Bookkeeper Recruitment Guide for free.
An easy reference document covering the whole process from scoping the Job Description for upcoming vacancies, right through to making better job offers than your competitors and sealing the deal, and every step in between. Written by Accounting firm Partners, HR/People Management professionals within the accounting and bookkeeping sector and drawing on established and emerging best practice in selection techniques in Australasia, the UK and US, you can have access to a wealth of practical recruitment and selection knowledge and links to external expertise and reusable templates whenever you need it.
Accountests can’t help you much with the global cost of living crisis, but we can make huge improvements in shortening the time to hire new staff with our ‘fast & thorough’ techniques for getting you ahead of candidates competing jobs offers. Contact Us to find out how.
About the Authors
Giles Pearson FCA was a PwC Partner for 18 years before jointly setting up Accountests.
Steve Evans has a whole career dedicated to enabling employers to attract, recruit, develop and retain talented individuals and teams, with particular expertise in candidate testing and assessment before setting up Accountests.
Accountests deliver the world’s only online suite of annually updated and country-specific technical knowledge tests designed by accountants for accountants and bookkeepers.